Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Decade of Life (Definitely the Sweetness of Mine)

I still can not believe that the fruit of my loins is going to be ten years old in two weeks. He is almost a decade! Wow! My once powerless, mouldable child is quickly growing into an independent, self-sufficient (er, at least he likes to think so), free-thinking child. A decade ago I wasn't even fully grown and now this living being that grew inside my womb and emerged into the world the size of a moose (yes, this is what they called him at the hospital) is getting ever closer the size of an actual moose, at least in height.

I know, I know, the teenage years are just around the corner and this is when I get to find out just how much I've pissed off God (ha! only kidding), but for now I'd like to focus on the present. I'd like to focus on the fact that my child is one of the most interesting people I've ever been lucky enough to meet and I'm sure if you've ever met you you totally understand what I mean. My child reaching the decade mark is enough of an amazement for me.

My child was born at the end of the millenium, December 15, 1999 to be exact and I figure he prefered to be the last in a millenium, rather than the first. How amazing is it going to be when he's 80 years old (yes, that will make me ancient, but I plan on living at least until I'm 115) and he gets to tell people he was born at the closing of such an awesome period of time? I mean, I still remember being amazed at the old people who were born at the end of the 1800s and that they were still alive...and maybe it was just me, but I was definitely awed by the amount of life they were able to live.

This year we may not 'party like it's 1999' but we will party like it's 2009 and celebrate my son's first decade on this planet. He has requested fried chicken, mashed potatos, and green beans and of course there will be cake!!! What is a birthday party without a cake? And what is this blog without something sweet being posted....(and yes, I will be posting the recipe because more than likely it will be one made from scratch....so keep your eyes open..) Not only will I be celebrating my son's birthday, but I will be celebrating my own growth during that decade and how I went from a very immature, naive, selfish person to what I have become today. I'm not saying I'm not immature, or naive, or selfish, but I like to think that at least those aspects of my character have mellowed out some and that I've become a better person because of my son.

So yes, I am the proud mama of an almost ten-year old boy who will one day grow up and take over the world!!!! (and if you've ever met him you probably think he is capable of such a feat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment