Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pulla and Another Year Gone...


I make Christmas Pulla not because I want to be more Finnish (although that would be cool if possible) nor because I think I can match my mother-in-law in the kitchen (because we all know I can't) but because it is a little reminder to my boys that although their mother moved to Finland two years ago (maybe longer) we can bake a small reminder of her. Christmas was never really Christmas unless Leena had delicious pulla, warm from the oven, to dip in coffee that was constantly brewing in her coffee pot. We all knew it was Christmas the moment we walked through the door because the smell of pulla baking is one of my favorite smells of all time. It makes me think of home, of being loved, and of a very close family.

2009 has slowly crept by, although at times it seemed to fly, and so many good moments were had. I'm sure there were not so good moments, but I try to focus on the positive. Yes, the prison I worked at closed, but a door of opportunity was opened for me in Central Office. Yes, we were furloughed on several occasions (let's hope 2010 does not bring any more furlough days...) but at least that was time I got to spend with my family. Many of those we love have passed but to me they have gone on to bigger and better places.

I hope that this year brings more wonders and more hopes and even more friendships and I truly hope everyone has a wonderful New Years Eve and Day....

Christmas Saffron Pulla (my Mother-In-Law, Leena's Recipe)

1/2 liter milk (conversions can be found online :) )
1 envelope dry yeast
2 eggs
2 dl sugar (2/10 liter)
1 Tbsp cardemom
1 Tsp salt
1 kg flour (about 2 pounds, 15-16 dl)
200 grams butter (3 1/2 sticks)
1 gram saffron (1/2 tsp)

-make sure all ingredients are at room temperature
-warm the milk to about 100 F in the microwave
-melt butter, cool to room temperature
-mix yeast in the warm milk until dissolved
-mix in sugar, salt, eggs, and spices
-add the flour, first mixing with a wooden fork, then when the batter gets thick, knead with your hand.
-add the melted butter and keep kneading until the batter is springy and comes off your hand and the edges of the bowl - your hands may stay messy :)
-cover the bowl with a cloth and let stand in a warm, draftless place until it rises to about twice the original size (you should be using a big bowl)
-after it has risen, carefully dump the dough on a well-floured table and knead just enough to get the big air bubbles out, about seven turns.
-let the dough sit covered on the table about five minutes, then make into different shapes (use flour, it will keep it off the the table and your hands)
-let the pullas rise on the cookie sheets covered in a warm place, then brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar (if you can find the chunky sugar, use that, otherwise regular sugar works fine)
-bake at 425 F for about ten minutes (if not brownish in color, bake a bit longer)
-cool, covered with a cloth, and enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment