Sunday, December 20, 2009

Cake Balls! A Hit and a New Tradition!



I'd like to thank my friend Kim, who not only gave me the idea for such wonderful treats, but pointed me in the right direction on how to made these delicacies.... This was not my recipe, nor my idea, but I made these little treats my own by doing what I know how to do while making candies (which I LOVE doing....but which requires much time, a commodity I do not have much of these days) So I hope you enjoy this little treat.....especially since they're rather simple and you can be so creative whilst making these little bites of heaven!

Cake Balls:

- 1 Cake Mix (any flavor - I used Dark Chocolate)
- 1 Tub of Frosting (any flavor - I used Caramel frosting)
- 30 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (the original recipe called for those melting chocolate thingies...I don't like those, so I used real chocolate chips.....hint: when melting these, add a little vegetable shorting to make smoother)

1. Bake the cake according to the box
2. Wait for cake to cool, then crumble into small pieces...
3. Add the tub of frosting to the crumbled cake (you're going to need a large bowl for this )
4. Combine the frosting and cake until completely combined and smooth, you should not be able to see the frosting separate from the cake.....it takes a while and using 2 forks really helps with this step.
5. Roll into balls and place on a baking sheet (I used aluminum foil on the cookie sheets...made it easier to peel them off - I would have used wax paper if I had any) - hint: use an icecream scoop to get the same size balls... (mine are medium-sized....these can be made into large balls or small :) )
6. Once placed on the baking sheet, place in the freezer for at least an hour to harden (I kept mine in the freezer for a few hours due to being at Thomas' shop...which did not harm them...so no, if they stay longer in the freezer it won't damage them.)
7. My double boiler equals a sauce pan w/ water set to boiling (once boiling and chocolate begins to melt, add the shortening and combine, and turn the heat down to med-high or medium) with my kitchen aid bowl from the mixer sitting on top :)
8. Melt chocolate, once melted take a skewer or anything else pointy and pick up each ball and dip into the chocolate until coated....
8. Once coated and before the chocolate cools add any topping you like....I used coffee grounds, coconut shavings, and chopped pecans.....
9. Once you have finished dipping them, place them back on the cookie sheet and back in the freezer to set them.....this only takes minutes......then TADA! You are finished...and they look delicious!!!

ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment