Saturday, September 17, 2011

Life is Peachy Keen!




And it begins....It is now officially Fall and I've begun my little chaotic dance around the kitchen. A little domestication is not a bad thing, especially when the end product tastes sooo good. The weather shouts fallness as does the beauteous color changes all around. This time around I've decided to make something a bit different. I prefer to make and eat berry jams, but this time the peaches just screamed out my name, begging me to take them home, as I drove past the little fruit stand. I just couldn't resist! I figured if I didn't get them now I'd have to wait until the following peach season and if you know anything about me, I am far from patient.


So to all of you who have waited ever so patiently, unlike myself, here is my Peachy Jamminess recipe. It is similar to the previous blackberry jam recipe, but please mind the amount of pectin used. Apparently this go 'round I used just a little too much making it a bit more jellied than desired, but the taste is still fabulous!

Peachy Jaminess


Ingredients:




1 quart peeled, cored, diced peaches, almost a mush
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 package pectin

*if you'd like to be a bit adventurous you can always add your own spices, etc. (I think maybe the next go 'round I will be adding a little garam masala....I just have an ever so loving obsession with that flavor and it would meld well with the sweetness of the peaches.)


Instructions:

Step 1: Combine smashed peaches, lemon juice and sugar in large pot.



Step 2: Bring to boil over high heat until sugar dissolves.




Step 3: Stir in pectin.


Step 4: Return to a rolling boil.


Step 5: Boil hard 1 minute, constantly stirring


Step 6: Remove from heat.


Step 7: Skim foam if necessary.


Step 8: Ladle hot jam into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.




Step 9: Adjust 2-piece sterilized caps


Step 10: Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

*besides the obvious use of this jam, there are many other ways it can be used. I've discovered it tastes great as a glaze on chicken. Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-size pieces, marinade in jam (completely coat the chicken), then roll in panko bread crumbs. Coat a baking sheet with olive oil and preheat the oven to 375. Place chicken on baking sheet cook 10-12 minutes each side....so very tasty, crunchy and slightly sweet...yum!





































No comments:

Post a Comment