Friday, August 20, 2010

The Great Distraction & Delicious Hummus

In this day and age I am absolutely disgusted by the obsession and pin-pointed anger regarding this whole 'Ground Zero'/mosque debacle. I understand why people might possibly be upset, but why the mass news coverage? Why all the attention when we have more important things to focus on rather than where someone wants to build a building? It seems like a mass-distraction to me.

Do we not have a war going on where our men and women are losing their lives daily? Do we not have children across the world (including this country) so hungry that their bellies are distended and displayed in ads across America? In my mind, as a Christian, these are the things we should be focusing on, not on this worldly, petty issue.

Ground Zero is a place of sadness where many lost their lives, but it is not a place of worship, nor does it represent the Christian faith. The Twin Towers were not a function of Christianity, but of money, commerce, and greed world-wide (including countries of the Muslim faith). I have heard over and over, and fully believe, that we as human beings (including us Americans/Christians) hate/fear what we do not understand. Humans are willing to wreak as much havoc as possible when it comes to concepts/ideas that do not pertain to them (heh, sounds somewhat like the loonies who decided to take thousands of people's lives) and if it weren't for them and their hate/fear we wouldn't be having this 'discussion'.

But as I babble and rant all I can think about when I think of Muslim Centers, mosques and this issue is hummus, baba ghanoush and falafel. (Heh, I partially blame a friend of mine because every time I make mention of the deliciousness of hummus or falafel his comments jokingly have an air of jihads, etc.) I know it is probably wrong of me but I've always thought humor eased the pain of many, and so when I think of Islam and of the Middle east, their food always comes to mind, because it is all so delicious!

So in honor of this 'Ground Zero/Muslim Center' debate, I offer up a wonderful hummus recipe given to me by my dearest friend, and altered a bit to my family's taste.










HUMMUS:

Ingredients:
1 can of chick peas, drained & rinsed (or 16 oz. dried chick peas, cooked)
1/4 cup of Tahini/sesame paste
1 - 2 Tbs of lemon juice (to taste)
2-3 garlic cloves
1 tsp garam masala (my homemade garam masala is delicious...will post recipe at later date)
1/2 tsp cumin
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil
dash of water as needed for desired consistency

Directions:

1. Put chick peas, tahini, lemon juice into a food processor & puree until smooth/creamy texture.
2. Add a dash of water & process to desired consistency. (we prefer extremely smooth texture)
3. Add in seasonings and combine well
4. When ready to serve, top with a little olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment